BC Public Service Ministry of Agriculture
Provincial Soil Specialist (website here)
Apply your knowledge of soil science and BC’s agricultural industry in this key role
Salary $64,086.02 - $80,042.76 annually
The Provincial Soil Specialist provides senior professional advisory services, including direction to others, within an agri-environmental resource program, particularly in relation to agricultural soil management in B.C. The Provincial Soil Specialist works in the Resource Management Unit to connect farmers with research and ideas, while delivering programs, projects and services to help B.C.’s agricultural sector improve its competitiveness and demonstrate environmental stewardship. This role encompasses leading B.C.’s agricultural soil health and conservation initiatives; recommending changes in regulations, policies, procedures, and inter-agency agreements to increase efficiency with respect to management of agricultural soil and water resources; and leading the development and implementation of the soil management aspects of the B.C. Environmental Farm Plan (EFP). The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Qualifications for this role include:
• Master of Science Degree in Agricultural Sciences, Applied Biology, Physical Geography, or equivalent.
• Registered as a Professional Agrologist, or eligible for registration as a Professional Agrologist, with the British Columbia Institute of Agrologists (BCIA).
• Experience working with agricultural issues and systems.
• Experience in managing staff, programs, and/or contracts.
• Preference may be given to candidates with at least three years of experience working with agricultural producers doing soil erosion control, tillage and cover cropping systems, soil mapping, soil carbon sequestration, drainage, and/or use of soil amendments.
• Valid B.C. driver’s licence or equivalent.
To learn more about this opportunity and to apply online by April 10, 2019, please visit:
Attention: only applications submitted through the BC Public Service’s employment website (see link above) will be accepted.
Back to careers page